ABC(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) — The suspected “Golden State Killer” appeared in a Sacramento County, California, court for the first time since he was arrested.Former police officer Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, donned an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs as he was wheeled into the courtroom for his arraignment. He appeared to be weak and frail and was surrounded by five police officers.He did not enter a plea.DeAngelo spoke twice during the hearing — when he was asked to state his name and whether he had an attorney.“I have a lawyer,” he replied in a raspy voice.Tissues were passed around among emotional audience members in the front row of the courtroom, who appeared to be members of the victims’ families.When one attendee was asked by reporters how she felt to see DeAngelo in court, she replied that he looked like “an old man.”“I feel like justice is starting,” she said.DeAngelo was taken into custody Tuesday at his home in Citrus Heights, a city in Sacramento County. He lived at the home with his family but was alone when he was arrested, authorities said.The suspected killer’s alleged crime spree began in Sacramento County in 1976 and continued down the Golden State coast until 1986.DeAngelo allegedly committed 12 murders as well as 50 rapes and multiple home burglaries in the 1970s and 1980s.His name came up for the first time in the investigation to catch the notorious killer last week, Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said. DeAngelo was then surveilled, and DNA from an item of his that police had collected was confirmed as a match.DeAngelo served in the Navy in the 1960s and was a police officer in the 1970s. He was fired from his post in the city of Auburn in 1979 for allegedly stealing a hammer and a can of dog repellent, according to the AP, which cited articles from the Auburn Journal at the time.He then spent 27 years working at a distribution center for Save Mart Supermarkets in Roseville, near Sacramento, and retired last year, according to a spokesperson for Save Mart.DeAngelo’s next court appearance is scheduled for May 14 at 8:30 a.m.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Tag Archiv: 上海419龙凤凰网
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom | AFP | Dele Alli’s reaction to signing a new six-year deal with Tottenham this week underlined why Mauricio Pochettino is so valuable to the north London club amid claims the Argentine coach is growing restless.Victory at Wolves on Saturday would extend Spurs’ best start to a Premier League campaign since Pochettino took charge ahead of the 2014-15 season.That, though, tells only part of the story.Performances have too often fallen short of standards set in recent seasons, throwing focus on the failure to make any signings during the last transfer window.The after-effects of a gruelling World Cup campaign have taken a toll on a number of Pochettino’s squad, while Tottenham’s Champions League campaign already hangs in the balance.Add to that the continuing delays to Tottenham’s move back into a rebuilt White Hart Lane, and there is a growing sense the club is treading water right now.Speaking ahead of Monday’s home defeat to Manchester City, Pochettino admitted to feeling frustrated, conceding this was the worst he has felt since taking charge of the club.Pochettino acknowledged his side has made some progress, but insisted off-field distractions had diverted their focus away from winning trophies.It doesn’t help, then, that Real Madrid, long term admirers of the Argentinian, are now looking for a replacement for the sacked Julen Lopetegui.Pochettino’s future appeared secure when he signed a new five-year contract at the end of last season. But Tottenham would not be the first club to discover they have a fight on their hands if the La Liga giants decide to step up their interest in the manager.The central importance of Pochettino to Tottenham’s long-term plans, though, was reinforced by Alli’s glowing endorsement.The England midfielder became the latest member of Pochettino’s squad to sign a long-term deal this week and made it clear the Argentine was a major factor in his decision to put pen to paper.– In demand –“He is a massive part of wanting to be at this club,” said Alli after Wednesday’s win at West Ham in the League Cup.“The fans are amazing, the chairman, everyone — the whole club’s amazing.“But as players you work with the gaffer, you want to have a good relationship with the manager, and we all feel like we’ve got that here.“We all love the way we work, the style of play. We all want to be a part of it.“He’s done a lot for me so far and hopefully he can keep helping me to improve.”Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2
London, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City and England footballer Raheem Sterling on Sunday insisted that racism is “the only disease right now”.The 25-year-old, who has often and powerfully spoken out on discrimination, admitted his remarks may appear ill-chosen as the globe fights the coronavirus pandemic.“I know this might sound a little bit cheesy but the only disease right now is the racism that we are fighting,” said Sterling in a BBC TV interview to be broadcast on Monday.Sterling is the latest sports star to voice support for protests against racism in the United States and across the world following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last month.“This is the most important thing at this moment in time because this is something that is happening for years and years. Just like the pandemic, we want to find a solution to stop it,” he added.“At the same time, this is what all these protesters are doing. They are trying to find a solution and a way to stop the injustice they are seeing, and they are fighting for their cause.“As long as they are doing it peacefully and safely and not hurting anybody and not breaking into any stores, they continue to protest in this peaceful way.”Sterling has previously been prominent in calling out racism in both the domestic and international game. Last year he advised fellow players against walking off the pitch in the event of racial abuse.But Sterling believes it is now time for the talking to develop into real change – in society and in the notoriously tribal world of professional football.“There’s only so much communities and other backgrounds can take – especially black people.“It’s been going on for hundreds of years and people are tired and people are ready for change.“This is something that needs more than just talking. We need to actually implement change and highlight the places that do need changes.“But this is something that I myself will continue to do, and spark these debates and get people in my industry looking at themselves and thinking what they can do to give people an equal chance in this country.” Racism ‘only disease right now’: Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling Share on: WhatsApp
FALLON FOXby Michael Martinez(CNN) — Born a man, Fallon Fox became a woman through surgery and then trained to fight in mixed martial arts.Now that she has won her first two bouts — both in the first round — she has gone public as a transgender fighter, the first on record in a popular sport that some consider as the successor to boxing.“The reaction has been positive,” said Fox, 37, who revealed her story recently to Sports Illustrated after a journalist with another publication began to investigate her private surgery. “It’s just some people, some of society doesn’t get it yet. And this is what we’re trying to do now is to inform people and let them know about transgender athletes.”When asked if it’s fair for a man-turned-woman fighter to face another woman in the ring, Fox said there was “no unfair competitive advantages.”What was unfair, her last opponent and her manager say, is how Fox didn’t disclose until after the fight that Fox had a sex change operation.That opponent, Ericka Newsome, was knocked out this month with “a tie clinch,” or a knee to the chin, 39 seconds into the fight without anyone knowing of Fox’s background.It was “unfair I didn’t know it, but it didn’t matter that she fought me,” Newsome told CNN. “I feel that it should have been disclosed to me ahead of time…so we are aware and able to be better prepared for the situation.”She and her manager are going to appeal the loss in Florida on the grounds of how Fox failed to disclose being a transgender person and how the referee stopped the fight too early.“They should have let the fight go,” manager Matt Hamilton said. “She should have thrown at least one to two more shots to confirm it. On that particular basis, that’s one of the things we’ll appeal with, as well as not having it disclosed.”Meanwhile, the California State Athletic Commission is reviewing a claim by Fox that the state gave her a fighting license in 2013 when in fact the commission says her license application is still being reviewed, Sports Illustrated reported.Fox subsequently told Florida authorities that she had a California license, and now the Florida boxing commission is also reviewing Fox’s license application, the magazine reported. Also, Fox admitted she didn’t disclose to boxing authorities she is a transgender person but added she wasn’t asked to either, the magazine said.Sports Illustrated writer Loretta Hunt wrote of Fox’s 2006 gender reassignment surgery and winning her pro debut in May 2012. Hunt told CNN that guidelines for the Association of Boxing Commissions are similar to the International Olympic Committee’s policy that allows transsexuals to compete in Olympic games. The IOC requires transgender athletes to undergo hormone therapy long enough to remove gender-related advantages.In fact, Hunt said, mixed martial arts guidelines don’t require a sex-change surgery, but they do require two years of hormone therapy for transgender fighters.“Whether it comes after the surgery or it’s just on its own, that must be done and you must be tested throughout the two years,” Hunt said. “Those papers must be submitted to the athletic commission for review.”Newsome wants to fight Fox again, Hamilton said.“We would love a rematch,” Hamilton said.