Tag Archiv: 上海后花园419

Reporter with US, Canadian and Iranian nationality deported to Iran by Syria

first_img Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 RSF_en Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists IranMiddle East – North Africa to go further IranMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iran June 9, 2021 Find out more News News May 16, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporter with US, Canadian and Iranian nationality deported to Iran by Syriacenter_img Reporters Without Borders is very concerned about the fate of Homa Dorothy Parvaz, a journalist with US, Canadian and Iranian nationality working for Al-Jazeera English, who disappeared after arriving at Damascus airport on 29 April. According to a statement issued by the Syrian embassy in Washington, the Syrian authorities deported her to Iran on 1 May. But Iranian foreigh minister Ali Akbar Salehi told the government news agency IRNA on 14 May that Iran had “no information” about Parvaz. This was the first comment by an Iranian official about the case.“No one has heard from Parvaz for the past two and a half weeks,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The Syrian authorities finally said they handed her over to the Iranian authorities 15 days ago. But until then they said nothing about her whereabouts, with complete disregard for her family and for the media that employ her. This total lack of transparancy does not bode well.”The press freedom organization added: “The Iranian information ministry says it has no information about Parvaz. If that is Iran’s official position, it means she has disappeared. If not, we urge the Iranian authorities to say where she is being held, to allow her to leave the country or to account for the charges against her if they decide to continue detaining her.”Parvaz’s brother told Reporters Without Borders that the family had received no notification from the authorities in Tehran. “They should at least tell us why they are holding her. She did not even enter Iran voluntarily.”According to the statement issued by the Syrian embassy in Washington, Parvaz tried to enter Syria with an expired Iranian passport and a tourist visa. After finding transmitting equipment in her bags, the Syrian authorities assumed she had come to cover the anti-government demonstrations. She was alllegedly deported to Iran on 1 May, less than 48 hours after her arrival. She was not allowed to contact her family or the US or Canadian embassies at any point.The sequence of events shows that the Syrian authorities remained silent about her whereabouts for nearly two weeks. The Syrian government newspaper Al-Watan went so far as to report on 10 May that she had left the country on 1 May “without saying where she was going (http://www.alwatan.sy/dindex.php?idn=100992).”Al-Jazeera had announced on 27 April that it was suspending all activities throughout Syria until further notice because of the many threats and acts of intimidation against its crews. Its Syrian employees were repeatedly threatened by the authorities, and stones and eggs were thrown at its offices. Around 100 people demonstrated outside Al-Jazeera’s Damascus bureau on 30 April, accusing it of “lying” and “exaggerating” in its coverage of the anti-government protests that began in Syria in mid-March (http://en.rsf.org/saudi-arabia-from-tripoli-to-manama-no-let-up-02-05-20…). Receive email alerts After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists News March 18, 2021 Find out more News February 25, 2021 Find out more Organisation Help by sharing this information last_img read more

MAN WIELDED HATCHET AND TOLD WIFE HE’D BURN HER OUT OF IT – GIVEN SUSPENDED SENTENCE

first_imgCOURTS: A man who threatened to burn his wife out of it and wielded a hatchet at her – has been given a suspended sentence. Michael Connors, 43, with an address at 3 Canal Road, Letterkenny appeared at Letterkenny District Court yesterday afternoon in relation to charges ranging from drink-driving, threatening to kill and assault. The court heard how the defendant had threatened to burn his wife Patricia Connors out if during an incident in February, 2013.He also wielded an hatchet, and smashed a window during the drink fuelled rant.A victim impact statement given to the court by Patricia Connors was read out a previous court hearing in relation to these offences.Mrs Connors said at that sitting, “I knew things were going to get bad again and there may be an issue with him drinking.“I went off to bed at 11pm, but at 3m I was awoken by Michael banging at the window.“He was shouting, Get out you whore, I’m going to burn you out of it, you’re nothing but a whore.“I went into the sitting room and he was banging at the window and was holding a hatchet.“I was terrified and I ran back into the bedroom, but he kept thumping at the window with the hatchet.“I then heard the glass smash, and I started shouting at him that I had called the guards and that they’re on their way.”The court were also told that shortly after this, Mr Connors was again at the centre of a row – this time with another family member, and during that incident brandished an eight-inch steel rod, and was only in possession of a pocket knife.Solicitor for the defendant Patsy Gallagher told the court that his defendant had a serious issue with alcohol, and that he had resolved the issues with his family.Gallagher told the court, “My client has had serious, serious issues with alcohol in the past, it was a family dispute that got out of hand.“Thankfully, that has resolved itself, and my client has also got his drinking under control.“He fully accepts what he did was wrong, and is profoundly sorry for his actions and knows there are inexcusable.“However, because he has resolved these issues, and the fact it’s been some time since the last matter, I’d plead with the court to give the defendant a suspended sentence.”Judge Paul Kelly had ordered a probation report on the defendant at a previous sitting, and had warned Mr Gallagher that his client may well receive a custodial sentence.However, Judge Paul Kelly was satisfied with the probation report on Mr Connors and that the issue with his family had been resolved.He sentenced the defendant to six months in prison, but suspended the sentence for a period of two years.He also ordered that Mr Connors complete 100 hours of community service.MAN WIELDED HATCHET AND TOLD WIFE HE’D BURN HER OUT OF IT – GIVEN SUSPENDED SENTENCE was last modified: July 19th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtsKillMichael Connorsnewsrowwifelast_img read more

Violent repairman sued

first_img According to the lawsuit, Franks told sheriff’s deputies that he was standing behind the girl twirling his hammer when he accidentally lost control of it, causing the hammer to strike her in the back of her head. “She was attacked in her home,” the girl’s attorney, Mitchell Stein, said. “She had a couple of staples put into her head because she was hit in the head with a hammer. She suffered physical and emotional damages as a result of the incident.” An attorney for Frontier Homes declined to comment. Attorney Amy Friedman Cecil, who represents the electrical contractor that hired Franks, said, “We do not believe it has any merit against my client.” The girl’s family moved into the house in October 2004, and about a month later experienced trouble with their telephones, the lawsuit said. Franks was sent by his company, Brennan Electric, to repair the problem. The girl let him in and he went into several rooms in the house while she watched television, the lawsuit said. Franks then asked her to help him check to make sure the telephones were working in each room of the house, the lawsuit said. Then, as he was standing behind her, he hit her in the head with a hammer and grabbed her, the lawsuit said. She got the hammer away from him, scratched him, and screamed as she eventually escaped and ran out the front door, the lawsuit said. Karen Maeshiro, (661) 267-5744 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER – A telephone repairman sentenced to more than eight years in prison for attacking a teenage girl with a hammer is now facing a civil lawsuit filed by the younger victim. Gregory Franks, 26, withdrew his plea of not guilty by reason of insanity and pleaded no contest to two counts of assault with intent to commit rape after prosecutors agreed to dismiss additional charges. “Two of the reports (from doctors who evaluated him) were conclusive that he was sane at the time of the events and competent to stand trial,” Deputy District Attorney Dan Akemon said. “The third doctor wasn’t as firm in his opinion and was ambiguous on that. The totality of the reports taken together was that he was sane and competent.” Franks was sentenced last week to eight years and four months in prison after he entered his plea to the charges and admitted he used a hammer on the younger victim, Akemon said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Franks must serve 85 percent of his time and register as a sex offender. The two counts he was convicted of will count as two strikes under California’s “three strikes, you’re out” law. Franks was charged in a November 2004 hammer attack on a 17-year-old girl at a home where he was sent on a telephone repair call. He was accused of hitting the girl in the head with a hammer, grabbing her and telling her, “just kiss me.” He also was charged in another assault in June 2004 in which a 32-year-old woman acquaintance was threatened with a hammer at a house in Lancaster. “With the second victim, we also alleged that he used a hammer, but in that case, it was in his pocket. He was kind of reaching for it but never pulled it out,” Akemon said. The 17-year-old girl has filed a lawsuit against Franks, the San Bernardino company he worked for, and Frontier Homes, the developer of the home where the incident occurred. last_img read more