Tag Archiv: 上海交友

Millions earmarked for region

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2All of the amendments failed. Almost the entire Southland delegation voted to protect their colleagues’ projects, except Rep. Ed Royce, R-Fullerton, and Rep. Gary Miller, R-Brea, who tried to help Flake slash two separate projects. “We always complain that the president does not have the line-item veto authority,” Flake noted, adding, “I would be satisfied if Congress had it.” In 2005, Congress approved more than 15,000 earmarks totaling more than $47 billion. Rep. David Hobson, R-Ohio, who chairs the Energy and Water Subcommittee on the appropriations panel, said he made a point of limiting the number of earmarks to the bill. He compared the $1.2 billion worth of pet projects to last year’s $1.4 billion. WASHINGTON – Millions of dollars for Southland water projects are expected to wash up in the Southland next year under a funding bill headed to the U.S. Senate. Money for the Sepulveda Basin, San Gabriel Basin Restoration Fund and the dredging of Los Angeles Harbor are among $1.24 billion worth of pet projects in the bill – better known as earmarks that are increasingly coming under attack in Congress. While no one took specific aim at Southern California projects, watchdog groups and at least one lawmaker are on a crusade to curtail and better identify the authors of earmarks. “I have complained for a long time around here that we are funding too many earmarks,” said Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., who offered six amendments to strike about $4.85 million in various projects, including a science museum in Virginia, from the bill. “We have produced a very responsible House bill,” he said. In the Southland, money will go primarily for Army Corps of Engineers projects. Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Sherman Oaks, who obtained $2 million to restore Bull Creek Channel in the Sepulveda Basin, noted that the Sepulveda Basin Recreation Area is a federally-owned flood control region. The government leases about three quarters of the 2,097-acre site to the city of Los Angeles for a wildlife preserve, parks, tennis courts and golf courses. The funding will go toward restoring wildlife and native plant habitat in the creek channel, as well as adding new trails and a pedestrian bridge for visitors, Sherman said. Rep. Howard Berman, D-Van Nuys, secured $200,000 for the Sun Valley Watershed, $150,000 for the Tujunga Wash Restoration Project and $250,000 for the Los Angeles Basin Watershed Supply Augmentation Study. The study is aimed at developing new methods for capturing stormwater runoff to recharge groundwater supplies and reduce ocean and beach pollution. “As our population increases, we need to develop innovative solutions for maintaining our water supply and preserving our environment,” Berman said, calling the study an “important step in the right direction.” The San Gabriel Basin Restoration Fund, a project long championed by Rep. David Dreier, R-Glendora, will get $10 million from the bill. He also secured $1 million for two new recycling projects in the Inland Empire. “In many ways, the future of the foothills sinks or swims on the issue of water,” Dreier said. The bill also will include $5 million from Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald, D-Torrance, to support an ongoing assessment of geothermal resources in the U.S. She noted that a Department of Energy report recently found California to be one of the states with the greatest potential for quick development of geothermal resources. [email protected] (202) 662-8731160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Delight for Deele College as three students win top national award

first_imgThree students from Deele College are celebrating national success this week after they came first place in the Foroige Youth Entrepreneurship Programme in Dublin on Thursday afternoon.The three girls, Ellie Barron, Saffron Porter and Stephanie Harper are Transition Year students in the school and their product ‘Clean Guard’ beat off stiff competition from students from across the country to take the top prize.The girls will now go on to Barcelona to represent Ireland at the European stage of the competition. They say that simplicity is the trademark of genius and that adage certainly rings true for the girls, who have come up with a simple, yet an ingenious way for athletes to keep their mouth guards or gum shields clean and free from bacteria.Through their involvement in sport and their participation in the Donegal Enterprise Board Workshop, they identified a niche in the market and a problem that needed a solution.They created ‘Clean-Guard,’ which consists of a liquid sanitiser, a brush and a container, which doubles as both a cleaning container and a holder for taking to games or fights.The product works in fifteen minutes and leaves the mouth-guard fresh and ready to use for the next outing. Ellie Barron, Saffron Porter and Stephanie Harper took the top spot at the Foroige Youth Entrepreneurship Programme.The feedback that the girls have received has been phenomenal, with boxing sensation, Jason Quigley giving his seal of approval, just days after his last victory.He came to the school to meet the team behind the product and gave it his seal of approval.“After my last fight, I fired the mouth-guard into my bag and it was covered in blood. I took it out two days later and had to spend ages cleaning it with boiling water and a toothbrush.“It would have been great to have a cleaning product for the gum-shield and I will be using ‘Clean-Guard’ from now on so well done to the girls for creating something that we, as athletes, need.”There were buoyant scenes in the school on Thursday afternoon, when word filtered back that the team had won the overall prize and a trip to Barcelona in September. The girls were inundated with congratulatory messages, one of which came from the current Minister for Education, Joe McHugh, who congratulated the girls on their creativity, initiative and marketing skills.He highlighted the benefits of Transition Year, which allows students to take their learning outside the classroom and embrace their creativity. He also noted that the girls have the ability to take this product further.School principal, Mr Joe Boyle, was understandably delighted with the girls’ achievement and he says that it was a proud day for both the school and for the families of those involved.“I can’t emphasise the gravity of what the girls have done in winning a national competition which pitted them against the very best in the country. I’d like to say well done to the girls and indeed their families, who have supported them throughout this competition.“I would also like to pay a special mention to their teacher, Ms Orla Gallagher, who has worked night and day to help the girls.“I would also like to show my appreciation to Liam Porter, who is not only a past student of the school but a big supporter of everything we do here at Deele College.“Liam has been an invaluable asset to the team throughout. I would also like to thank all those was assisted the girls in any way for the competition.“On Monday, we have one of the highlights of the school calendar, which is our annual prize-giving and the girls will undoubtedly be honoured for their hard work and success on the day.“We are delighted that Education Minister, Joe McHugh TD will be here to join us for this celebration.”Delight for Deele College as three students win top national award was last modified: May 13th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

South Africa to launch ‘war on poverty’

first_imgThe percentage of South Africans living on less than a 2007 benchmark of R462 a month had decreased from 58% in 2000 to 48% in 2005. Source: BuaNews Briefing reporters in Cape Town on Sunday on a three-day Cabinet meeting that took place in Pretoria last week, Mbeki said the campaign would kick off in August, focusing on the most deprived wards in all nine provinces. The strategy would include motivating each household to make its “own contribution” to its struggle against poverty. According to a Development Indicators report released earlier this month by the Policy Co-ordination and Advisory Service unit in the Presidency, income growth among South Africans, combined with the expansion of social grants, had resulted in a rise in income among the poorest of the population since 2000. Taking population increases into account, the number of South Africans lifted out of poverty since 1996 had reached 9-million, the report found, with about 12-million now supported by one or more of the various forms of social grants provided by the government. The teams would go “from household to household” in the identified areas in order to make the most direct, helpful interventions to take these households out of poverty, Mbeki said. The most deprived households identified in the poorest wards would be visited periodically during the campaign by a team of professionals and community workers to identify their specific needs, accelerate their access to government services, and provide safety nets. 28 July 2008 South Africa is to launch a nationwide campaign to reduce poverty among the country’s poorest citizens, President Thabo Mbeki said on Sunday. Mbeki said that last week’s Cabinet meeting had noted that South Africa was on track towards achieving its medium-term goals of halving poverty and unemployment by 2014. The long-term goal was for South Africa’s poorest households to receive assistance and support in a co-ordinated and sustained way, with a national “war room on poverty” leading the campaign from the office of the Deputy President. “Even though many challenges still need to be tackled, attaining high and sustained economic growth is and will continue to be a key part of our strategy to achieving these medium-term goals,” Mbeki added.last_img read more

SA troops for Central African Republic

first_img7 January 2013 President Jacob Zuma has authorised the deployment of 400 South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers to the Central African Republic (CAR), his office said on Sunday. The deployment to the civil war-torn country is part of South Africa’s efforts to bring about peace and stability in the region. The deployment will end on 31 March. “The employed members of the SANDF will assist with capacity building of the CAR Defence Force and will also assist CAR with the planning and implementation of the disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration processes,” the Presidency said in a statement. On 31 December, Zuma sent Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula to the Central African Republic to assess the situation, which remains tense after the Seleka rebel coalition launched an armed campaign on 10 December. The rebels, who accuse President Francois Bozize of reneging on the 2008 Libreville Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed by the government and the country’s three main rebel groups, and of cracking down on dissidents, have taken 10 northern and central towns in their advance on the capital, Bangui. The South African government has urged all parties to immediately cease hostilities, withdraw from the captured cities and cease any further advances towards Bangui. As a member of the African Union, South Africa said it rejected any attempt to seize power by force, and therefore supported sanctions and other measures against the perpetrators of any unconstitutional change of government. “We call on all parties to seek a peaceful solution by engaging constructively in political dialogue,” the Department of International relations said in a statement last week. “We welcome the reaffirmation by CAR President Francois Bozize to work towards a negotiated solution to the current crisis.” Source: SANews.gov.za – Xinhualast_img read more

Here Comes Jolla, Yet Another Deviant Linux Smartphone

first_imgWhy IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Tags:#Linux#Nokia#smartphones Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement dan rowinski What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech …center_img Related Posts Meet Jolla, the smartphone that almost never came to be.When Nokia decided to jump off its burning platform a few years ago and go with Windows Phone, there were no people more disappointed with the decision than the hundreds of engineers that had been working on the company’s own mobile operating system, MeeGo.These were developers that had put in countless hours to make MeeGo the platform of the future and the initial results were intriguing. The Nokia N9 was a beautiful phone (its core design would eventually be the basis of the first Nokia Windows Phone, the Lumia 800) with interesting functionality that, at the time, bested Android in utility. When Nokia scrapped MeeGo, these developers were out of a job and, worse, had the rug pulled out from under a beloved project.So, they banded together to keep the project going. And the result is Jolla, a smartphone from Finland running an operating system called Sailfish, born on the legacy of MeeGo.What Is Jolla?Pronounced “yo-la,” Jolla as a company is the continuation of the “Mer” project. The Mer project was initially a fork from the Linux-based MeeGo designed to bring as much of the old Maemo operating system (MeeGo was formed as a conglomeration between two operating systems, Maemo and Moblin) to Nokia’s hardware as possible. Mer was eventually suspended when most of the development resources started going to MeeGo.When Nokia dropped support for MeeGo, the Mer project was resurrected. It was intended to provide a new environment for the many developers and engineers who had worked on the open-source project, from Nokia or elsewhere. MeeGo itself morphed when it was began being supported by the likes of the Linux Foundation (backed by Intel and Samsung among others) and became Tizen. These old Maemo engineers just won’t admit defeat to their original dream and just realize that MeeGo/Maemo is, for all intents and purposes, dead. So now we have Jolla and a prototype smartphone searching for an audience.The Jolla SmartphoneThe first Jolla smartphone is a 4.5-inch, dual-core, 4G LTE enabled device with 16GB of internal storage and a replaceable battery. It runs the gesture-based Sailfish OS which, presumably, will operate a lot like the old Nokia N9 based on MeeGo Harmattan. Jolla is now available for pre-order and will be shipped first to European countries. The price tag is a reasonable €399 and Jolla expects to begin shipping by the end of 2013. Basically, Jolla is now asking people to support the project through pre-orders in a very Kickstarter-like fashion, imploring the community to get behind the project, or “The Tribe,” as Jolla co-founder Marc Dillon describes it. Based on Linux, Sailfish OS will be compliant with Android apps. This will allow Sailfish OS developers (the very small handful that currently exist) to port Android apps to Jolla, much in the same way that BlackBerry developers can port Android package files (APKs) to BlackBerry 10. The Drawback Of Open Source DemocratizationDevelopers often complain that Android is a fragmented ecosystem. Too many different CPUs on different screen sizes from different manufacturers to make sense of it all. Yet, if you compare Android to what happened to the MeeGo community, Google’s mobile operating system seems tame.Android always had a champion in Google to keep it on point. This contrasts with the Maemo/Moblin/MeeGo/Tizen/Jolla community that has had so many competing interests and egos that development has never really produced anything tangible other than a few interesting prototypes (like the Nokia N9 and now Jolla).The Jolla group is essentially the most disillusioned of them all. Some have also called them the most creative and innovative while also being the most stubborn and arrogant. And now this team, finally, has what it wants – its own company and smartphone. The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technologylast_img read more