Bible Museum admits some of its Dead Sea Scrolls are fake Analysis by German scholars has revealed that at least five of the museum’s 16 scroll fragments are apparent forgeriesThe scrolls are a collection of ancient Jewish religious texts first discovered in the mid-1940s in eastern Israel bible|dead sea scrolls|museum|Washington Summary FILE – In this Oct. 30, 2017, file photo, security workers stand inside a large open stairwell area at the Museum of the Bible in Washington. Less than a year after it opened, Washington’s Museum of the Bible is admitting that at least part of its centerpiece collection of Dead Sea Scrolls are fakes. The embarrassing announcement on Oct. 22, 2018, is the culmination of a technical analysis by a team of German scholars. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File) by Ashraf Khalil, The Associated Press Posted Oct 22, 2018 4:06 pm PDT Last Updated Oct 22, 2018 at 6:51 pm PDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email WASHINGTON – When Washington’s $500 million Museum of the Bible held its grand opening in November 2017, attended by Vice-President Mike Pence, there were questions even then about the authenticity of its centerpiece collection of Dead Sea Scrolls.Now the museum has been forced to admit a painful truth: Technical analysis by a team of German scholars has revealed that at least five of the museum’s 16 scroll fragments are apparent forgeries.The announcement has serious implications not only for the Bible Museum but for other evangelical Christian individuals and institutions who paid top dollar for what now seems to be a massive case of archaeological fraud.Jeffrey Kloha, chief curator for the Museum of the Bible, said in a statement that the revelation is “an opportunity to educate the public on the importance of verifying the authenticity of rare biblical artifacts, the elaborate testing process undertaken and our commitment to transparency.”The scrolls are a collection of ancient Jewish religious texts first discovered in the mid-1940s in caves on the western shore of the Dead Sea in what is now Israel. The massive cache of Hebrew documents is believed to date back to the days of Jesus. With more than 9,000 documents and 50,000 fragments, the entire collection took decades to fully excavate.Most of the scrolls and fragments are tightly controlled by the Israeli Antiquities Authority. But around 2002, a wave of new fragments began mysteriously appearing on the market, despite skepticism from Biblical scholars.These fragments, they warned, were specifically designed to target American evangelical Christians, who prize the scrolls. That appears to be exactly what happened; a Baptist seminary in Texas and an evangelical college in California reportedly paid millions to purchase alleged pieces of the scrolls.Also eagerly buying up fragments was the Green family — evangelical Oklahoma billionaires who run the Hobby Lobby chain of craft stores and who famously sued the Obama administration on religious grounds, saying they didn’t want to pay to provide their employees access to the morning-after pill or intrauterine devices.The Greens are the primary backers of the Museum of the Bible and went on an archaeological acquisition spree in the years leading up to the museum’s opening. In addition to the alleged Dead Sea Scrolls fragments, the Greens ran afoul of the Justice Department, which said they had acquired thousands of smuggled artifacts looted from Iraq and elsewhere. The family agreed last year to return those artifacts and pay a $3 million fine.
Tag Archiv: 上海水磨会所Kaya
Relatives of missing persons from the occupied village of Assia on Tuesday criticised the Committee on Missing Persons (CMP) for making their pain worse by not first investigating the validity of information that the remains of their loved ones had been moved from their mass grave to a former landfill in Dikomo in the north before informing them.The issue was discussed at the House refugees committee in the presence of the Commissioner for Humanitarian Affairs Photis Photiou and the Greek Cypriot member of the CMP Nestoras Nestoros.Nestoros told MPs that the information submitted by the Turkish Cypriot member of the CMP Gulden Plumer Kucuk some two weeks ago that remains of around 70 people from Assia, who were murdered by Turkish soldiers during the 1974 invasion and who were buried in a mass grave in Ornithi, had been moved to a former landfill in Dikomo, appears to be valid.He said that a CMP crew has already visited the site and that depending on the findings of further investigations they would begin excavations.Kucuk submitted information to the CMP based on testimonies of six Turkish Cypriots who were involved in transferring the remains of around 70 people from a mass grave in Ornithi, an area just outside the village of Assia, to a landfill in Dikomo. The transfer reportedly occurred sometime in 1995 or 1996. The landfill was reportedly open until 2002. After it was closed, the regime in the north covered the garbage with soil and planted trees on top.The CMP however has already informed the relatives of missing persons from Assia, before investigations were completed.Representative of the committee of relatives of Assia missing persons Yiannos Demetriou told MPs that they met the CMP on November 17 but the committee should only have informed them after investigating this new piece of information.Demetriou said that research is always necessary before disseminating such information “to avoid repeating phenomena of misinformation that make the pain of relatives more intense”.When the relatives were informed of the move of the remains of their loved ones, he said, “we felt like naked acrobats without a safety net”.Both Photiou and committee head Skevi Koukouma said the information submitted to the CMP on the move of the remains was aimed at giving the impression that Turkey is cooperating to resolve the humanitarian issue of missing persons ahead of the next Council of Europe Committee of Ministers meeting, where the situation in Cyprus is to be also discussed.Photiou said this is the first time that the other side has admitted to moving remains, but that Kucuk’s report said the move was not an act of the Turkish military but of 5-6 individuals, and was an attempt to absolve the occupation army of its responsibilities.The Commissioner also said he was surprised the CMP announced this new information and informed the relatives before an investigation was completed.Regarding excavations that began recently at the Nicosia General hospital to retrieve the remains of 31 victims of a bomb dropped during the first leg of the invasion, Photiou said so far the remains of 10 people had been located, as had pieces of the bomb.You May LikeLuxury Crossover SUV I Search AdsThese SUVs Are The Cream Of The Crop. Search For 2019 Luxury Crossover SUV DealsLuxury Crossover SUV I Search AdsUndoDr. Marty ProPower Plus Supplement3 Dangerous Foods People Feed Their Dogs (Without Realizing It)Dr. Marty ProPower Plus SupplementUndoSecurity SaversWindows Users Advised To Do This TodaySecurity SaversUndo Concern over falling tourism numbersUndoTurkish Cypriot actions in Varosha ‘a clear violation’ of UN resolutions, Nicosia saysUndoOur View: Argaka mukhtar should not act as if he owns the beachUndoby Taboolaby Taboola